Thursday, August 12, 2010

Swim Team 2010

2010 was Molly's first year on the swim team.
Rusty thought I was crazy to register her since he had witnessed her two months earlier, during spring break, unable to even get in the pool without a floaty or me holding her. But I was not about to let that deter my goal of having Molly be a proud member of the Glen Oaks Swim Team. I really wanted her to learn to swim, and another HUGE deciding factor was our swim teams policy: pay for three kids and the fourth one is free. I am all about getting something free.
Therefore, I went on the hunt to find someone to teach Molly swim lessons three times a week during the month of May so that she would be able to "pass" the tryout and swim the length of the pool by June 1, 2010. After paying a small fortune for intense private lessons, she was accepted as a Glen Oaks Gator. In hind sight, I wonder if the swim lessons were worth the free swim team season.
Our swim team does a lot of fun things throughout the season (these enticements are the only way I am able to convince Meg to swim. . .that, and promising her she only has to go to practice two times a week with one of the practices being the "fun practice". . .I'm just picking my battles:). They have a pirate swim meet where everyone dresses up like pirates, we have an Amazing Race party which ends with a pudding drop, and a great awards banquet right before championships (see pictures below).
























Most improved for the 11-12 year old girls.

No comments: