In my early childhood I remember thinking that everybody's moms celebrated a birthday the same day as Father's Day -- nope, just my mom.
My mom's birthday is today. Happy Birthday! We love and miss you.
I have so many fond memories of my mom. As a child, a few that stick out include:
- Playing card games with me ALWAYS!
- Back to school shopping and letting ME pick out what clothes I wanted--and how to budget for said event.
- Making my birthday the occasion of the year (even when I was in college she brought a German chocolate cake to my work so that I wouldn't be "forgotten").
As an adult, a few that stick out are:
- My wedding day and her making me chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast -- a favorite as a child (and even now I guess).
- Giving me "easy" recipes to make for my brand-new husband. Rusty still LOVES the lasagna
- After helping me for two weeks when Ben was born (Meg was 12 months old and Ben a new-born), both of us crying at the door step as she was leaving for the airport. She told me, "You can do this Vicki, you will be okay." After making many mistakes, she was right, I was okay.
- Now making my kids' birthdays the occasions of the year.
- Many hours doing scrap book pages together.
- Laughing WITH me at all the many crazy, fun and blessed events that occur in my life.

This is one my favorite pictures of my mom.
Also a shout out to my dad on Father's Day! As I've mentioned before in a post, my dad is one of the hardest workers I have ever met. He worked at least three jobs during my childhood including his full-time job at Geneva Steel, owning and managing rental units, as well as real estate. Although I never got everything I wanted (although we were the first family in the neighborhood to have a VCR), I NEVER needed for anything.A highlight of my childhood was taking family vacations. My dad made sure that our family went on at least one or two every year. ALWAYS in our camper or motor home (most trips required a repair in some random town). As a young child it was to visit my grandma in Seattle, Washington, or camping with my maternal grandparents. When we got older we went to Lake Powell, and to see almost EVERY tourist site to see in the Western United States. Even when my mom was too pregnant to go anywhere, we went 45 miles away to Salt Lake City and spent a week there at the zoo, historical sights, Lagoon, etc.
Thanks dad for teaching me about hard work, how to play chess, and the correct way to caulk a tub. Most importantly, thank you for sharing your testimony with me through example. I ALWAYS knew of your non-wavering testimony of the Church as well as love of the scriptures and of our latter-day prophets. I love you.
With my parents and Rusty's mom (Kathy) at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building eating lunch. We then went and saw the movie, "Joseph Smith, The Prophet of the Restoration." It was such a fun day to be with everyone.
3 comments:
We didn't recognize the people you wrote about, but we felt loved and happy that you saw us this way. It was a wonderful compliment and to come on my birthday and just after father's day was an added bonus. We love you.
Hey, I recognized you both right away! You are such wonderful and loving people and I am so grateful that you are Rusty's family AND part of mine, too! AND we sure do share the cutest grandkids! :) A belated Happy Birthday and Happy Father's Day to you both! And a special thanks for all you have done for me and my family over the years!
Hi Vicki-
just checkin in- you at the pool right now?:)
Post a Comment