Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Vancouver, Baby!!!

Wow!!! Rusty and I arrived in Vancouver on Tuesday evening, June 24, and have been having the time of our lives. Rusty had a conference, and as with every year, I'm lucky enough to tag along.

Before I go on with the "adventures" of our trip, I need to give a big public THANK YOU to my mother-in-law Kathy for taking care of our kids which allows me to come every year on this "working" trip with Rusty. Not only does she do it, she claims (and I believe her) to LOVE it and enjoys the time she spends with the kids, getting to know them a little better (maybe all except the glycerin stick she has to apply to Molly to help her go #2).

Tuesday we arrived at about 6:30 p.m. (Vancouver time--three hours earlier than we were used to--it made the next day a little rough, but who cares, NO KIDS). We decided to rent a car for a couple of days so we could really "see" the sights. Rusty of course thought the ONLY way to see Vancouver was from a convertible and, therefore, we rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible.


The first night we ate dinner and walked around Vancouver to get the lay of the land. The next morning began with a workout (that's Rusty's idea of a vacation--unlimited time to work out--I know, he's nuts). Then we decided to go to Stanley Park. It's a park that is the third or fourth biggest park in North America and it is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. It is AWESOME!!!

These totum poles are in the middle of the park and represent the British Colombian "Coat of Arms" which tells of mystical or real events. I was thinking as I was looking at them what my coat of arms would be--hauling four kids around in a mini-van while doing laundry. Does that count?


This is The Lions Gate Bridge that connects Vancouver with North Vancouver. Still part of the park/seawall walk in Stanley Park.


We then decided to take a Harbor Cruise (Rusty thinks these are so cheesy), but we learned a lot of interesting facts about Vancouver and it was amazing weather.


One of the highlights of the tour for me was seeing this bald eagle. I have only seen one other in my life. Okay could I BE any more of a dork?

Wednesday Night we drove over the border (I was so glad to be back in the US of A. Only because my cell phone worked without a major roaming charge) to meet my college friend, Nicole and her husband, Steven for dinner. She lives in Seattle and we met half way in a town called Bellingham .

I roomed with "Nicool" as we called her for four years at BYU. Although I haven't seen her for about 5 years after just a few minutes of "catching up" if felt like we were back in college (well except I have 4 kids and she is expecting her first baby in January and we're 17 years older). Rusty and I had so much fun. Steven is great, and Rusty and I loved to hear about all his cycling adventures. I had forgotten how much I love having Nicool in my life on a daily basis. She always makes me feel important and is continually making me laugh. In fact, on my run today I listened to REM to even further remind me of our college days.

Thursday morning Rusty and I took a run on the seawall that surrounds Stanley Park and then Rusty went back to actually attend the conference while I went on a horse drawn carriage ride around Stanley Park. I love these nerdy kind of things because I always learn so many interesting facts about the city that I am visiting. Then Rusty and I went and picked up Matt and Julie Martinez from the airport. We put the top down and showed them some of the sights that we hadn't yet explored. Our first stop was at the "Inukshuck." It's basically just a bunch of stones put together that "resemble man." Anyway, it's the symbol for the 2010 Olympics and Rusty and Matt decided it was the "word of the day" and tried to use Inukshuck in every sentence that came out of their mouths.

Just like being with Nicole, it was great to be with Julie this weekend. I haven't seen her for a year, but we have kept in contact and talked frequently. The last few days we have had so much fun talking, comparing kid stories, encouraging each other, and mostly eating. We have eaten some really good food in the past two days, and a lot of it.



Next we decided to take advantage of the last few hours of having the car and drove across the Lions Gate Bridge to go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It is a suspension bridge that was built in 1905. Now, if you know me at all you know that my GREATEST phobia is crossing bridges. I wasn't going to go across it, but with Rusty's encouragement and the security guy telling me that no one "accidentally" died, I DID IT!!! it was pretty awesome, but I wish I had the heart rate monitor on because I'll bet my heart rate was in at least in the 170's.

Rusty and Matt at one of the thousand souvenir shops trying on some "coon skin caps."

We found Mecca in Vancouver by the name of "Cafe Crepe." Here we are eating a Nutella and cocunut crape a la mode. It was seriously the best thing. We went back the next night and got another one. I discovered the beauty that is Nutella! Where has it been all my life?

Julie and I walking on the seawall.

Honestly, the best seats in the house at a restaurant called "Carderos". The hostess let us know when it was our turn to be seated by "hoisting" our flag (they assign each party a different color flag) up the pole and then ringing a bell.

This clock is on the grounds of the art museum counting down until the 2010 Olympics begin.

We rented bikes with Matt and Julie on Saturday and rode around Stanley Park.

Although it was a breezy, cool day, Rusty did not wet his pants. . .it's sweat. Out of all the pictures we took this was Sam's favorite picture--go figure.

I had the time of my life. I know it's because I was with Rusty. He is so much fun and always encourages me to try new things. I am so glad I have him in my life.

13 comments:

Noelle said...

What a fantastic vacation! And great pictures. I'm glad you had a good time.

M and M Madsen said...

Yeah for you guys! What an awesome thing to do once a year.

Marla said...

This post almost makes my heart hurt! I've spent a lot of time walking those streets (especially North Van by the suspension bridge) but not a lot of time as a tourist! It looks so great - so glad you had a great time.

bstoutfamily said...

So so cute!! Looks like it was such a fun vacation! I love the picture of you all on the bike together! You look so great!! :)

Unknown said...

The only thing that can top that vacation was spending the week with Meggy K, Ben, Sam AND Molly! They are amazing and soooo much fun. We had a great time in good ol' Louisville while you were off galavanting in Canada! :) Thanks for the time you take to share your life and times with us (esp. me!). Y'al are awesome!

143 2ks and 2ks!

Aaron and Heather Stucki Family said...

SOOOO fun... now doesn't Rusty have any conferences to go to in Europe? I can find him some clients here in Budapest that would like to immigrate!

Shannon said...

For some reason, Micah's conferences are in places like Lexington and Louisville...maybe he's just the wrong kind of lawyer! Love your blog, by the way!

traci said...

We all need a little Vancouver trip. It looks so beautiful. I am glad that you had fun with Rusty as well as with the Martinezes. I miss them. I have friends that live in Vancouver and their photos of that city are amazing. I am glad you got to see some of those amazing spots. Fun!

Kristi said...

I am so happy that you guys got to do this. It sounds like you had an absolute ball. What a treat that you got to share it with Matt and Julie. Seeing their photos makes me miss them. :( At least we still have the O'brien's! Oh, and I'm with Sam, the photo of Rusty's sweaty behind is my favorite too. : )

Sally said...

Oh what a fun trip! Its on my list of places I want to visit. Rusty is such an easy goin guy...B would disown me if I posted a pict of his sweaty tooshy.

BTW did I ask you if T still works with him?

Jen said...

What a fun post Vicki! It was so great to see pictures of both you and Julie. I haven't heard or talked to Julie since she moved. Is she running in the Boston Marathon? How fun. I'm so jealous you got a trip alone with your husband. I was just telling Mike I was craving a trip with him with NO kids! How fun. Fun to catch up on your life.

Jeffrey and Monica said...

that looks like a super fun trip! glad you got to enjoy some "us" time.

Julie and Matt said...

That trip to Vancouver was soooo much fun! We had so much fun with you guys!! You're the best. We miss you already. Now that Vancouver is over, we need to start looking forward to Vegas next year!