Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ben's 10th Olympic Birthday Par-tay!!! Oct. 10



Ben wanted a Nintendo DS more than anything. Even more than an "away" party. So we made a little deal. I said, "If you have an "at home" birthday party then we could probably afford getting you a DS." Ben's reply, "Deal!"

We had just had a pack meeting where we did a traditional Olympic games and Ben wanted to put a little "twist" on this theme. He first wanted everyone divided into four teams of three (he let Meg have a friend come and, with Sam on their team, they were the "no friend" team). After the teams were put in place, then Ben came up with his own events. They included: 1) Who's airplane can fly the farthest off the deck, 2) scooter race on a chalk line, 3) relay egg toss/race, and 4) hurdle-under-the-tramp-around-the-tree-and-back relay. See pictures below.


Opening Ceremonies. All the teams had their own color bandanas so we could know which team they were. Rusty played the Olympic Theme Music for the events.

The Airplane throw.
The scooter-on-a-jaggedy-line race.

Hurdle-under-the-tramp-around-the-tree-and-back relay.
Ben took the events VERY seriously.

Ben then had his "gang" of boys eat pizza and cake and then watch "Cool Runnings," a movie about the first Jamaican bobsled team, outside on the projector. Some boys got bored with this activity and decided to jump on the tramp in the dark. It was a fun time. I think everyone had a good time and Ben got his DS.

The DS

My mom and dad came from Utah to visit and for Ben and Meg's birthdays. We had a little family dinner and cake on his actually birthday.

Ben and Grandma Thompson

3 comments:

traci said...

I heard it was an awesome Par-ty. You did a great job. A party at home is always better than going out (esp. if a DS is in the deal)!

Julie and Matt said...

What a fun party. Bray and Chase should have been there to celebrate! I love how creative it was. I also love how Rusty totally decorates the kids' cakes.
Looks like a great day. Happy b-day from the Martinez's!

The Mortenson Family said...

I can't believe Ben is 10... I'm starting to feel really old! Happy Birthday, Ben!! Jen