Ben asked me the other day while we were emptying the dish washer, how I “know” how to be a mom. "Did you read a book?" he asked. Try 50 Ben! I told him that when Rusty and I were married the Patriarch who sealed us, told us that Heavenly Father was lending us His children. He urged us to constantly counsel with Heavenly Father on how to raise His children. I told Ben that's what I try to do (as well as read books). This seemed to satisfy him. I have noticed however, that I pray a little more about some of "His" children than others.
One time when I was at a class at BYU's Education Week a women said that kids do chores better when you give them a "training period." The parent is to find the age appropriate tasks and then for the first six months of the year do the chore with them so they understand how to do the chore correctly. Although, this takes more time for me, I feel like doing chores with my kids is so much more productive because: 1) I don't have to go back and "fix" it without them seeing, and 2) My kids become jabber jaws. This seems to be one time I learn a lot about stuff going on in their life--when we are leaning over the toilet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay, I'm a little behind..I just noticed you have a blog now. YAY!(Kristine)
What books did you read? Any that you would recommend? Post a list if you can.
M-
Love Ben's quote. I just wish it were that easy!
Post a Comment