Sunday, May 4, 2008

By George, I Thinks She's Got It!

Molly is finally potty trained. With an emphasis on FINALLY!!! She's not quite to the point when she tells us she needs to go, but will always (she may cry a little first) go when we sit her down on the potty. She's only had a few accidents this entire week!!! I was a little worried about the #2 business, (it sometimes takes kids longer to master this act), but she has done it twice this week on the potty.

I was not above using bribery to get Molly potty trained. I put a jar of Starbursts (out of reach) where she could look up from the potty and see them. She would get one for going potty, and one for washing her hands. She also stared at a "Sleeping Beauty" Barbie for weeks waiting to earn it by going #2. She is now sleeping with it.



The upside to having Molly potty trained
  1. No more buying diapers
  2. The summer should be so much easier--no swim diapers, no changing swim diapers.
  3. I don't have to clean up smashed pooh halfway up her back (this was Rusty's).
  4. I have changed diapers for almost 11 years straight and now no longer.

The downside to having Molly potty trained

  1. Having to find a place to take her when we're out and about (I didn't leave the house very much last week, but had to go to the Scout store to buy awards for our pack meeting. I had one of those "moments" that you know you will always remember. . .she was sitting on the "big potty" and I was kind of squatting down holding her. Her arms were around my neck and her head on my shoulder while she sang, "I love mommy she loves me, we love daddy yes sirree. . ." It was great--too bad it had to happen over a toilet).
  2. Washing the underwear and clothes when there is an accident.
  3. Cleaning up the bathroom floor when she misses.

Well, another stage is over for the O'Brien mob and I couldn't be happier.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Congratulations! I was so excited when Zoe was potty trained and was amazed at how quickly we forgot what it was like to have diapers. It is a huge milestone--everytime we hit one of those with Zoe it felt like the whole family was getting older and really moving onto our next phase. I've found it to be sort of weird--but good too.

Noelle said...

Congratulations! I love the picture where she is crying on the potty. It gives me something to look forward to.

Grandma and Grandpa T said...

Congratulations, that was really fast. It has been less than a month since you were here and she wasn't very interested. You must have really worked hard on her. Isn't bribery great? We are so excited for you to be in this new stage of life.

Marla said...

FREEDOM!!! Congrats! My problem now is the crying in the middle of the night because little d has to go pee...I mean really, can't he just use the pull-up for that which it was intended? Lazy mom.