*Meg has NEVER once been excited to attend one of Ben's baseball games. . .until last Monday night. She was sitting there watching and cheering the entire game. I knew something was up and quickly realized what it was when the fourth batter on the Royals got up to bat. It was THE boy in Meg's class that she "likes." Already boy crazy--I don't know where she gets it. Don't answer that mom.
*Also, at said game, Sam had to use the restroom. When he came out he said, "Mom, this kid told me a joke in the bathroom, wanna hear it?" I'm thinking "Do I really want to hear this, and what else is Sam going to "hear" the next time he goes into the bathroom?" BUT I say, "Sure Sam, hit me." Well the joke goes like this. A girl tells her teacher she has to go the bathroom. The teacher tells her she can go after she recites the ABC's. The girl recites the entire alphabet with the exception of the letter "P" (you can see where this is headed). When the teacher asks her what happened to the "P," the girl says, "It's running down my leg." BTW, I've heard this joke about 12 more times since the game. If you see Sam in the next few days, I'm sure you'll hear it as well.
*Molly is definitely a girl who isn't, shall we say, "easy going." She knows what she likes, how she likes it, and when she likes it (again, no clue where she gets this from). One of the things that she cracks me up about is holding her hand. Every time I tell her to hold my hand because we're in the road or the like, she almost always corrects the hold. I rarely, no matter how many times I try, hold her hand "correctly" the first time. She'll say, "don't hold it so high." or "MOM too tight." Trust me when I tell you it's rarely "just right.
*Today we went to Ben's baseball practice at a park that has a ton of playground equipment. It was interesting to see what happened when we pulled up. First, Ben wanted to ensure (3 times) that the team we saw in the distance was really his team. Finally, when I confirmed this to him (also 3 times), off he ran and we didn't interact again with him until after practice (which I saw some improvement tonight--YEAH!!!). Meg, who was extremely excited to go to the park to play (I even gave her the option of staying home to watch a movie), took one look at how many kids were on the playground and decided she suddenly didn't want to play. Sam, however, was off before I could get the door opened. Next thing I know he ran up to me with this juicy piece of playground information. "Mom, you see that kid over there with the hair that's red, but not as red as mine? He isn't eight years old like he looks, he's only 6 and a half." I was wondering Sam, thanks. Anyway, Sam has two friends instantly. I predict it's because he's watching them in utter amazement that they can STAND on top of the covered slides, "Meg, look at this kid. Isn't he awesome?" In a very LOUD voice. Molly, like Sam, barged in (albeit nicely) on a little girl pushing her brothers on the merry-go-round and asked the girl to push her too. Meg cautiously tried to get Molly to not go on it, but Molly wouldn't have anything to do with that. Meg warmed up after a few minutes and got on the swings with me and Molly, and later started climbing on the equipment with Sam.
I only tell these events as an observation. I have a sister-in-law who is such a great example to me about not labeling her children. Which I'm trying to follow suit. I just find it interesting to see their personalities and behaviors in different circumstances.
*Sam was DISTRAUGHT today. He wore a new outfit to school. He's kind of in between sizes so of course I'm buying a little big. He's wearing a 6-7, but is barely in a size 6. Anyway, these shorts that he was wearing were a little big, but I thought they would worked, that is until he got home from school. Sam demonstrated for me and Meg what happened. He said, "I was speed walking in the gym and look what happened." Exactly at the moment (while speed walking around the kitchen) his shorts dropped to his ankles. With Meg laughing hysterically, Sam said, "Mom, 10 people saw it, Ms. Lori, Ms. Mary, Annie, Jordan, etc." (But he didn't say etc.). He named every last person that saw his shorts down around his ankles. He asked me to sew them, and when I told him I had to help Ben with a report and then take Ben to practice but would sew them another day he took matters into his own hands. He came downstairs with a belt on (BTW these shorts are elastic basketball gym shorts that have no belt loops). The belt he choose was the belt Ben had made at Cub camp last year and didn't have a belt loop to hold the end of the belt. Therefore, it was sticking straight out. I wish I would have taken a picture. Good Ole' Sam!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Since I was an only child, I was really surprised at the diversity in you and your siblings. It's great to read your stories about the diversity of your four kids. They are great and we love hearing about all of them. we love Sam a lot and we hope the belt helps with his shorts. His solutions to problems are priceless.
Such a fun read Vicki! I think Sam is the funniest, most adorable 6 year old, maybe ever. How funny is he?
btw, I love your comment about "not labeling" your children, but observing. I need to be better at that.
Love your update! It's like I'm sitting there visiting with you. Those are my favorite kind of posts to read.
I love your kids. They are just so cute, funny and nice. They really are.
I love that Molly has to have your hand just the right way. I'm just wishing Kaitlyn would hold mine. She tells me NO and then sits down. Nice. I end up carrying one and dragging the other by the arm. I'm sure that looks great to passerbys.
Sorry about Sam's short dilema. That would be a shocking thing for anyone, any age! Too funny that it fell down on cue.
Hope all is well. We need to go to the zoo or something this summer. We are going to the Hamilton's tomorrow, but it will be in the evening as Rich is on call tonight and needs to sleep tomorrow day. We'll have to plan!
Miss you!
Post a Comment