Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Things My Mom Always Taught Me"

I need to preface this post by saying that I've been reading different Ensign articles lately and it seems that most of the General Authorities have a story in their talks about what their mom's always said to them or taught them as they grew up. How influential and motivating their moms were in their lives. So, maybe out of desperation for positive feedback, I decided to see what my kids would say if I asked them this question.

Me: "What if someone in 20 years asked you to share something that your mom always taught you."

Sam: "How old will I be in 20 years? Oh yeah, 26. . .oooold."

Ben: "Sam, that's not that old, you'll just be getting out of college."

Me: Starting to get impatient and trying to get the subject off of Sam and back onto me, "Sam, so when you are 26, if someone asks you what your mom taught you, what would you say?"

Sam: Looking at me in a stupor, "Mom, what does that mean?"

Me: "Like, something I always taught you while you were growing up."

Sam: "Like. . .(looking around the kitchen for inspiration), I still don't get it." Getting a little more impatient with the discussion (and Sam obviously hasn't learned a lot), I move onto the other kids.

Me: "Meg, what about you?"

Meg: "To be kind, #1, then to be honest, #2." Okay, not bad. I'm feeling a little more confident, and knew she was my favorite child (today anyway).

Sam: "Oh yeah! You do say that a lot." Thanks Sam!

Ben: "Mom, I'm only 9, you still have A LOT to teach me." Can you say PRESSURE?

Me: Ignoring Ben's comment and turning back to Meg, "What if someone asked you if you always read the scriptures, had family prayer and Family Home Evening?"

Ben: Piping in, "Not always on the scriptures or prayer, but we DO have FHE every week."

Me: Completely defensive, "We have family prayer most days if not all, and family scripture study at least 4-5 times a week."

Ben: "Okay, okay mom, we do." Then rolling his eyes and giving Meg that "we'll just tell mom what she wants to hear" look.

Me: In a loud voice while they are talking to each other and walking away, "Well, I guess we have to step it up a notch on family scripture reading and family prayer then." That will show them.

I guess that conversation taught me not to go looking for compliments and that someday, when they are older (26) they may just remember something good that I really did teach them.

3 comments:

The Mortenson Family said...

Haha... that was hilarious! At least you're brave enough to ask those questions! I don't think I'd dare to even ask cause I already know what the answers would be =) You're an awesome mom... I just hope my kids are as sweet as your when they grow bigger. You can tell how much they love you. Jen

Jen said...

I agree. I'm not brave enough to ask those questions. My kids would all say how I taught them to yell and clean the house and be grumpy! he-he

You are a good mom, and once again, I always do the good old toothpaste fhe. I will never forget that. SOOOOO GOOD.

You are also kind. I loved how in dental school you would let me cut your hair trying to help us out knowing that we were poor little dental students. You could have gone somewhere else, so thanks for sticking around.

Cheryl said...

I'm with Melissa. I don't know if I'd want to hear my kids' answers.

You are an incredible mom. Just look back on a few posts and see how much your kids love each other. That is proof enough- far more than them just telling you.

Thankfully old age (26-ancient!) is still years away, so we still have time to teach them with they are young.