I've known Rusty 23 of his 39 years, and there are many things that I love about Rusty. I did a post on Rusty a few months ago and touted him. All those things are still true. He still lets me choose the entertainment, he still helps out with the kids and house when ever he's home, he's coaching Sam's baseball team, took me to Vancouver for a get away in June and still tries to email or call his mom and sisters every few weeks.
Today for his birthday, I want to document some of Rusty's "Loves."
- He LOVES his convertible.
- He LOVES to talk politics (especially with his sister Lori with whom he had diametrically opposed views) and learn all he can.
- He LOVES his extended family and all the family reunions.
- He LOVES to play dress up with Molly
- He LOVES to ride bikes with his kids and with me on our summer trips to Wisconsin using his dad's tandem.
- He LOVES to compete in triathlon, and LOVES to lament every aspect of the race after the results and pictures come on line.
- He LOVES to eat ethnic food, actually ANY food.
- He LOVES to listen to books on tape (even though when he tells be about a book he's "reading" I say, "you mean you're listening to:). Especially biographies.
- He LOVES to jump on the trampoline and let Meg and Ben teach him new tricks.
- He LOVES to run with Ben (Ben's the only one that can run at his pace--for at least a mile).
- He LOVES that his law office is now HIS law office.
- He LOVES to find new things in the scriptures or in the temple that he didn't "realize" before.
- He LOVES to read with Sam on top of his bunk bed.
- He LOVES to work out. If he had a day alone (his family gone) and didn't need to go to work, he would spend it by running 5 miles, biking 50, and then running another 5 miles. For a cool down he would lift for 1/2 hour and then top it off with a huge protein shake (I know, he's a freak).
- He LOVES me (sometimes I really wonder why).
Rusty, having just starting his own law firm, I have seen many more layers of Rusty. The other day for homework, Ben was asked what stamina was, and if he knew anyone who had stamina. He said his dad. I have really seen this trait and many more in the past two months. He has shown his ingenuity, his endurance and his desire to succeed. I'm so happy that he wants to provide for our family. It's been one of the hardest things we've ever done, and put a strain on us. But even with all the hard work and long hours, in some ways I've never seen Rusty happier.
We made his favorite dinner. Homemade Chicken Pot Pie and rolls, lots of salad, and for dessert, Carrot Cake.
We had so much fun just hanging out outside after eating. Molly always does this look (mostly when she's trying to show her frustration) and makes her face go red.

Again with the Molly look.

Sam showing his "mad" (and dirty) face.

Enjoying the cake, and blowing our streamers. Happy "39th" RLO. We love you.
6 comments:
I completely approve of books on tape (or CD). I count listening as reading.
Happy 39th birthday, Rusty - I know we're a little late.
What a great post! It made me curious about the details of his new firm...Did he leave DMC and just start his own? Did DMC retire...what happened to T? Oh, I have lots of questions. Email me if you get a chance.
Happy Birthday to Rusty, Ben, and Meg! . . . . a little late on all, but not with any less love. I love your comments Vicki! Rusty is lucky to have you always there to support him! You guys make a great team!! I love you all tons!
And I forgot to say.... "You're way AWESOME!" :)
Happy Birthday Rusty- our favorite little league coach of all time! Looks like you all had a great time celebrating.
Post a Comment