Wow, do we celebrate the Kentucky Derby in Louisville!!! I wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do many of the festivities leading up to the Derby this year. We were in Utah for Spring Break when "Thunder Over Louisville" (firework and air show) took place. Then we had baseball games during the "Great Steam Boat Race" and "Balloon Glow." And pack meeting was the same evening as the parade. We tried to make up for it however, by attending Sam's derby parade and race at school, going to a cook-out on Oaks Day, and had a little Derby party at our house. We were able to have a few families, but not as many as I would have liked. I was just talking to a friend the other day about how we are at a stage in our lives that our families are getting larger and unfortunately, due to this fact, makes us have to limit the number we can fit comfortably in our home.
Sam with his "AWWWWESOME" Derby float.
Sam in racing position with his "horse", Jockey "silks", Jockey hat, red rose (for running for the roses), and his blue ribbon (every kindergartner got one of these).
In art class Ben made a Derby hat.

Meg and Dominique eating hamburgers at the Oaks party.
Molly and her friend "Aba" (really it's Eva) eating a Popsicle near the end of the party (as you can tell by their clothes, hair and faces).

We set up the projector so we could really get into the spirit of the Derby.

Everyone cheering on their horse (we had a drawing--no betting).
The actual Derby was eventful. Out of a 20-horse field, Big Brown, the odds on favorite won by several lengths. Eight Belles, the only filly to compete in the Derby in many years, (it's a race for boy horses) placed a strong second and then suffered double compound fractures in both front legs and had to be euthanized right on the track within minutes after the race.
2 comments:
me and my dang kids had a great time :-)
really, thank you for having us over, it was a wonderful party.
I miss you guys and I miss Kentucky. We had a baseball game during the derby. I can't believe the whole country doesn't celebrate Derby!
Post a Comment