Sam had such a fun spring/summer Rookie Baseball season. His team was coached by Rusty, and since this was case they were the St. Louis Cardinals for the SECOND year in a row (needless to say, I told him maybe he should choose another team next year--I'm sick of Cardinal pictures. This didn't go over so well. In short, we'll be the Cardinals next year as well).
The recruiting process of this year's team was something I began working on in January (you can only do this for a couple of years, because soon the boys have to try out, get ranked and then it's the luck of the draw who is on your child's team). I offered a coveted position (ha, ha) on Rusty's team to anyone who was 6-7 years old that we go to church with, as well as all our neighbors. Many took us up on it and therefore, we had a team filled with friends.
The recruiting process of this year's team was something I began working on in January (you can only do this for a couple of years, because soon the boys have to try out, get ranked and then it's the luck of the draw who is on your child's team). I offered a coveted position (ha, ha) on Rusty's team to anyone who was 6-7 years old that we go to church with, as well as all our neighbors. Many took us up on it and therefore, we had a team filled with friends.
The Oldham County St. Louis Cardinals.

Sam and John Larsen
I don't know if you can tell, but when you zoom in close you can see that Sam's eyes are closed. Don't see him hitting any home runs with his eyes closed.
Sam taking the CORRECT batting stance--eyes fully opened.
A few of my favorite memories this season included.
I was taking pictures of Sam playing pitcher and therefore had to stand in our team's dugout to get the best shot. He looked at me and without saying a word, gave me a dirty look, pointed to me then pointed to the stands as if to say, "mom, get out of the dugout, you don't belong in there." I quickly obeyed as to not receive the wrath of a Cardinal.

The first picture shows Sam racing to not get out at first. Well, if you know Sam, you know that he is seriously not a competitive guy. He's just in any activity for the fun of being with friends. But for this, dare I say, "girl" to get the ball and get him out at first, KILLED him. He marched into the dugout, passed up three friends trying to give him a "high five" and sat in the corner on the bench. Then he took off his helmet and threw it. I was totally shocked, but decided to not say anything to him about throwing his helmet. He's a baseball player, and as long as he doesn't put a tobacco "chaw" in his bottom lip, I'll let him be one. Anyway, it took him only about 30 seconds of pouting until he realized he was missing out on a spitting contest some of his friends were having and decided to quickly join them. The out at first was all but forgotten.
I was taking pictures of Sam playing pitcher and therefore had to stand in our team's dugout to get the best shot. He looked at me and without saying a word, gave me a dirty look, pointed to me then pointed to the stands as if to say, "mom, get out of the dugout, you don't belong in there." I quickly obeyed as to not receive the wrath of a Cardinal.
Sam the goof ball.
Sam with the game ball and trophy.
1 comment:
I love that picture of all of the boys. So glad we could be recruited. I look forward to Fall Ball where we might end up as Cardinals again?!!!?
Post a Comment