Thursday, July 31, 2008

Randoms

The other day we were at the pool (like most of our summer). The night before, Sam had been flying home from Utah with Rusty, and didn't go to sleep until 2 a.m. (although he slept until 11:30 a.m.) and was just out of sorts. He came to me with shoulders slumped, looking very sad and said, "my eye hurts, I think there is a bug or an acorn in it." Ben: "Sam, do you know how big an acorn is?" Sam: "Yes, and I think there is one in my eye." Ben opened his mouth to argue with him, when I pulled Ben away from Sam and told Ben to just drop it. Which he did but first had to mutter something as he walked away.

That same day Sam was playing in the baby pool with Molly. He didn't last too long and when I asked him why he said, "The baby pool is like leaf world, and I'm not swimming in that." I mean who does like swimming with leaves?

One night last week I caught Meg with a flashlight and a book under her covers at about 10:30 p.m. She told me she "just can't put this book down." Then I heard some noise in the next room and Molly was laying on her tummy reading a Barney book (more than an HOUR after I put her down). If I was more a glass is half full kind of girl then I would think, "At least my kids love to read." I'll try that.

I think I've helped my kids become dependant on Ibuprofen. The other day when Ben hit his knee on the tramp he asked for two pills. Today, when Sam scraped his foot (I never actually could SEE the scrape) he told me he needed two Ibuprofen as well. Today Ibuprofen, tomorrow EXCEDRIN??!!

Lately, Rusty has had to work a lot of nights and, therefore, I've been putting the kids to bed (a task that Rusty usually does). In Louisville it doesn't get dark until honestly 9:30 p.m. in the summer, so my kids are never in a rush to go to bed. At this point in the night I was DONE being a mom for the day. I put Molly to bed and then told the older three to brush their teeth, say their prayers and get in bed (I think it was probably that blunt as well). Then I went downstairs to do the dishes, check email, etc. Finally, after almost an hour I went up to go to bed myself. I didn't even check on the kids, but then got tired of tripping over a sword that Sam left in my room and decided to take it in the boys' room. When I went in there Ben said, "Mom, I knew you would come and tuck me in." Okay, I felt AWFUL!!! Of course I acted like that was exactly my purpose for going in there. Learned my lesson--always tuck the kids in.

Today in the van Meg told me she wanted 5 kids (BTW two of them are a set of girl twins, which she told me I could come and live with her for a month or so to help her with them--thanks Meg:). Then she asked Molly how many kids she wanted. Molly's answer, "A purple one and a pink one." Not exactly sure that that means, but hey, our extended family is multi-racial, so we'll take anything.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Sam is a cutie. What an imaginative mind he has. I loved all those stories. How sweet that Ben still wants you to come in at night (some day he won't I'm sure), and that Meg wants to be a mom (gets it from you I'm sure). Molly is so funny too. I love the way little three year old think!

Unknown said...

You made my day! Off to see Meggy K and Ben this afternoon I think. :) Give Sam and Molly a big hug for me!

143 2ks!

Noelle said...

It was fun seeing you at the zoo today. Maybe we can do it again sometime!

Cheryl said...

Man, I just love your kids. They have their priorites and hearts in the right place. Of course that's not to say they don't have their tiffs and moments, but you can tell how much they really love each other and you. I think that's the best compliment a mom could give herself.

And I have to say that I LOVED Meg's family plan. Tell her she's one smart cookie. Twin girls are really, really fun (I have to pry myself from every girly thing I see so I don't buy 2 of each) and having a mom to help you out through it all is PRICELESS. Smart girl.

I have been checking in your blog now and then while I was away and I meant to post a comment about your trip up north. What fun! I loved the car and was totally jelous that you got to get away together and spend time with friends. Thankfully I was lucky to get to spend a few hours with Julie, Matt and Co. while in Utah, making me remember what good times we had together in Louisville. I've got to plan a trip there soon and see you. It's been too long.

Hope your summer is wrapping up nicely and you're getting ready for school to begin. How the time flies. Miss you!

Jeffrey and Monica said...

you have the best kid stories! the acorn in the eye made me lol!