Sunday, November 23, 2008

Another Girls' Trip

I was lucky enough to have ANOTHER girl's weekend to Virginia on November 20-23 to visit one of my BFF's, Isabel. She's going through a tough time so we (one of her BFF's, Joni -- whom I have gotten to know in women solidarity and support of Isabel -- and I) thought that Isabel might like some girl bonding.

Joni and I decided to be covert and surprise Isabel. It worked. The weekend included girl talk, watching "Survivor" in Isabel's bed (we LOVE it!!), hanging out with her kids, holding her new baby Sophia, picking out a new dishwasher, more shopping and seeing "Twilight." Side note: I read the Twilight series for a couple of reasons; 1) to see what all the hype was about, and 2) because my 11 year old was asking if she could read it (ummm, NO!). I saw "Twilight" twice (I know I'm a total tweener), once with Joni on Friday afternoon while Isabel was at work, and then with Isabel and her four kids on Saturday evening. This was probably one of my favorite "activities" (besides the actual surprise) of the entire trip. Obviously, I wasn't going to see the movie with my kids or Rusty, and couldn't really sit by just any teenagers and talk to them about their perspective of the movie. So "experiencing" this event with Isabel's kids was AWESOME ! They are/were totally into it. It was their "Dirty Dancing" (in my feeble attempt to relate). I mean what teenager didn't go and see this movie in 1987? If you say you didn't, you're lying. Edward. . .Jonny (Patrick Swayze) is there a difference (actually, I never thought Patrick Swayze was cute)?

Joni actually still uses Jean Nate. She "splashes" it all over herself after she steps out of the shower. The smell took me back to my Grandma's bathroom in 1975. No offense, Joni. Hey, if you like it. . .Notice the "Twilight" poster in the back.

While we were waiting to "hang" with Isabel, we made these bead/safety pin bracelets. Joni also made me Native American inspired earrings to match my "Team Jacob" shirt. Thanks Joni for helping me set this trip up.

Before going to "Twilight."Joni got us these shirts. Aren't they too cool?

"Facebook poses" When in Rome. . .

Two of Isabel's kids, Sophia and Coleman. Doesn't he look a little like Ben? They are going to be roommates at BYU if I have anything to say about it.

Kyle (Joni's eight-year-old boy) in his "jungle" themed room. He reminds me of Sam, so I totally loved him instantly. He also showed me how to feed crickets to his lizard. Not a highlight for me, but Sam thought it was cool when I later told him.

Could there be a cuter family? Austin, Isabel, Sophia, Coleman and McKenzie.

I don't know anyone who has endured more trials in their life than Isabel and yet has stayed faithful, positive, and focused on what matters. She is one of the true inspirations in my life, and I LOVE to be with her, talk to her and learn from her example.

I need to thank Rusty for allowing me to go and taking over all the "mom tasks" this weekend. He did a great job, no one was hurt and the house was clean when I got home.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

No--way! Is that THE Isabel? Truth-or-dare Isabel? That used to have the lesbians living next door? She looks even cuter than she did then. Send me a message on Facebook and let me know how she's doing!! That is so awesome you guys are still such good friends!