Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sam and the Glue Stick

I need to preface this by saying that I took Rusty school supply shopping with me ONE time about 2 years ago. NEVER AGAIN! He could not believe the amount of things we had to buy and how much it cost. His comment: "It's public school for crying out loud." After I had to find a certain pack of Avery labels (which had 550 labels per package), his comment was, "Ben had better come home with every piece of paper labeled," I vowed that Rusty was never looking at another supply list or walking in another store with me to purchase even one pencil. I couldn't stand the constant griping for a week.

Also, another tid-bit to understand the following quote. Every night, our family takes turns sharing the best and worst thing that happened to them that day. Here is Sam's:

Sam: "My favorite thing today was that in art I finally got to use a glue stick for once. We usually have to use the other kind of runny glue, and today it was AWESOME because I used a glue stick."

Rusty: "It's about (damn--under his breath to me) time, I only bought 50 of those for each kid at the start of the school year."

How sad that it's March and Sam has not used a glue stick yet. I told him he could use a glue stick at our house any time he wanted. Also, how sad that Rusty cares how the teachers are dispensing the glue sticks.

6 comments:

Marla said...

OK. So you and I are NOT the only ones that are alike! That could be Dave for sure!

Maybe they can express their grievances over their manly dinner tonight. ;)

Brett said...

Sorry, Vicki, but I'm totally on Rusty's side. If I pay for it, they'd better be using it. Plus, I learned not to go out of my way to get the nicer markers when they just dump them all in a big bucket for communal use...:) - Kristine

Unknown said...

How 'come I think I can actually hear that conversation??? Your updates always make me smile! :) What an awesome Mom you are and what great kids you have!!
143 2ks

Kristen said...

That is too cute. I am really not looking forward to the supply lists. Did you know when I was YW Pres I had my girls do their one good thing that happened to them, too? When I was released, that was their complaint about the new presidency--that they wouldn't let them do "good things" anymore.

Julie and Matt said...

I remember buying the labels for Mrs. Noon's class. I was so mad because they had to be that certain brand, not the office max ones. I'm with Rusty on the glue stick thing. It's about time Sam get's to use them!!!

Holly said...

I know I am not supposed to laugh hysterically at this post, but it is SO my life. At the start of every school year, Steve starts the same tirade. Personally, I would rather buy the school supplies than have to do a gazillion fundraisers. But, heavens, I cant believe they hadnt used any glue sticks yet. . .