Thursday, August 28, 2008

The O'Brien RED Heads

*Molly and I were looking at my wedding pictures the other day and she said to me, "Mom, I want to get married like you did yesterday." (Time for Molly is so funny. It's always yesterday for anything that has happened in the past, and tomorrow for anything that will happen in the future). So I asked, "Molly who do you want to marry?" Without hesitation she said, "Davey, and Eba (Eva) can marry Gagers (Gage), and Emma Williams can marry Sam O'Brien." She's got it all figured out and I dare anyone to try and change her mind. I got to tell you, I wouldn't mind Emma Williams for a daughter-in-law:)

*Sam got in trouble the other night right as Rusty and I were about to leave for the temple (Why is it always difficult to get to the temple? BTW, I spilled a soda on Rusty as we were pulling out of the driveway to top it off. We still made it with three minutes to spare). Anyway, when we got home here is how Sam and Rusty's conversation went.

Sam: "Dad, did you know I had to go to bed early because I got in trouble." Obviously, he went to bed early, but then when we got home got out of bed.
Rusty: "Yeah Sam, mom told me."
Sam: "Well, I wouldn't have gotten in trouble if I didn't tell mom the truth and tell her that I hit Ben."
Rusty: "Sam, you're just like George Washington (proceeds to tell Sam the famous cherry tree story).
Sam: "So I'm George Washington? Dad, what color of hair did George Washington have?" Always, looking for another red head. Does anyone know if George Washington did have red hair?

*This is how I got woken up one morning last week: Sam shaking me, "Mom how come every time I have to go to the bathroom Meg is ALWAYS in there?" Let me just say, get used to it Sam, get used to it.

*Sam at the dinner table, "Mom, just whisper one cuss word to me so I know what one is. It won't count if you're just teaching me."

*Sam got a wasp sting about two weeks ago, and five days later it was swollen and red, and it hurt. So I took him to the doctor to get it drained and then Sam was put on an antibiotic. Anyway, when the nurse came in to take Sam's temperature and get his vitals, he moved around, and because his shorts are a little too big, they came down a tiny bit and he thought the nurse saw. So instead of being embarrassed, he looked at her and said, "I have Star Wars underwear on and Anakin's ship is on my bum; wanna see?" No thank you Sam. She did however say that "Star Wars underwear are cool." Sam is going to be one of those kids that gets dared anything and will do it. What am I saying, he's going to be? HE IS one of those kids.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love these posts!

I am all for arranged marriages. The ones Molly has picked out sound perfect to me.

I Googled George Washington's hair color. Sadly it said he had light brown hair. Sorry Sam.

I wish my boys were asking me to spell a cuss word so they could know what one was. When they beep things on TV they'll totally say, "Man, I could tell he just said the s-word." Nice.

And good ol' Sam. That attitude will serve him well in life. He's got spunk and sometimes you need a little of that to get you through and let you be your own person. He'll never be afraid to stand up for what's right or tell someone what their doing is wrong. Love that kid!!

Marla said...

Oh Vicki - your Sam is so darn funny - he makes me laugh outloud. So, what I really want to know, is did you whisper a cuss word to him? Which one did you choose? HA!

Brett said...

I love reading your posts. You have such a great sense of humor! Rylan is like Molly - everything in the past is "last night". My kids asked me to tell them swear words, too. Nice try. :) - Kristine

Tiffany said...

Ohhhh -- I miss Sam! He was such a joy to teach. He definitely kept me on my toes. The cuss word comment cracked me up! And I loved hearing him sing!

I copied your great idea of framing your first home with pictures of it from each season. I finally found the frame at Michaels (which I bought thanks to you and Jenny) and every time I walk by it in my house I smile and think of you!

We just signed Keenan up for soccer last night. How I wish Rusty could still be his coach! I just hope he gets a coach with at least half of Rusty's patience and enthusiasm. It will be a new experience!

traci said...

Thank you so much for the really good laugh. I love that Sam. I also love that Eva will marry Gage, but if Molly changes her mind about Gage, he will probably be available.

Kristi said...

Sam kills me. So, which swear word did you "teach" him??