Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School--August 13, 2008

The first day of school came a couple of weeks earlier than the kids or I would have liked. It also began the same week that Rusty began his new law firm (post to come later). So, getting the supplies shopped and organized was done solely by the kids and me. This actually was fine with me since last year when Rusty embarked on this "activity" with us he FREAKED. A direct quote by Rusty, "I thought this was public school, why in the heck are we paying for all this stuff?" (I did spend almost $300 on supplies and fees this year. . .ouch!) Another favorite quote, "When I went to school, I showed up with a pencil and pack of crayons." Really Rusty, you already want to start those kind of stories at 38 years old?

Sam was determined to get a back pack that had a "sling" (only went over one shoulder). I really tried to discourage this, because Ben had one last year and didn't like it very much. But I could not talk Sam out of it and sure enough, three days into school he BEGGED me to get him a new back pack. Sure Sam, as long as you pay for it. Needless to say, Sam is using this bag.

Sam's a big first grader.

Sam's teacher is Ashley Davis. She is the sweetest, hardest working teacher I've ever met. She emailed me twice the first week of school and called once just to see how things were going. Sam says she talks like "Minnie Mouse, but not on purpose; that is how she really sounds." Do they make teachers younger than this?

Ben chose this backpack and got his name embroidered on the back. First day of School. Notice the hair-do;). and I want to make note that this shirt is Ben's FAVORITE. He would wear it every day if he could. I bought him a black one of the same variety so that we could get a little variety in his clothing.
To answer my earlier question regarding Sam's teacher, yes, they do make teachers younger. Meet Ben's teacher Ms. Kelly Sraj. Despite her age, she is AWESOME! Our grades are mixed and, therefore, Ben had her last year for third grade (her first year teaching). She is super smart and very patient. She pushes Ben to his limit and ran cross country at her college (Ben's reason for liking her).

The Fifth grader--the oldest in the school!

Let me relay a little story entitled "Meg And The Back Pack That Almost Wasn't." Meg got a catalogue from the store "Justice" (a favorite), she saw a girl modeling this very back pack and really wanted it. Well, we had bought her a nice one that she "had" to have last year and she wasn't suppose to get a new one this year. So she said she would pay for it herself. GREAT!!! OH MY GOSH let the hunt begin. No "Justice "stores in a 50 mile radius had this back pack in stock (and I know because I either traversed Kentucky looking for it, or spent hours on hold while the Justice employee could locate one). Needless to say, I had to go to our local store and pay for one to be shipped from a store in Cincinnati. Finally, five days later a UPS truck pulled up with the much coveted back pack in hand. How much do you want to bet that she'll find a new one for next year?

Mrs. Jamie Bachman. A brand new teacher who student taught Kindergartners (just last spring). I have noticed that this is the case, since Meg's class had to walk the halls on the second day of school to "practice walking quietly." She does send math homework every night (which I like) and has a red headed little boy, so I think she'll work out okay. The jury is still out.

There are five first graders in our cul-de-sac. All in different classes. The Asst. Principle lives just down the road and admitted to me that she did that on purpose.

Our next door neighbor had a donut and juice party before the bus arrived on the first day. It was so much fun.

Meg and Ben getting on the bus. Sam wanted Rusty to take him to school the first day.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I loved all the photos. Man, their teachers look SO young. I guess that just means I'm getting old.

I loved Rusty's woe is me story about the pencil and pack of crayons. I had a good laugh, though the extremely high cost of outrageous school supplies (I remember you told me you spent $26 on labels!) and extra fees do pack a punch. I guess that's what you get when you have 3 in school.

Hope you had a great Labor Day and break from the early morning routine!

Grandma and Grandpa T said...

I remember the relief I felt when I finally got everyone out the door and into school. It usually took me a good half hour in getting back to normal.

Wait for a few years and Rusty will be telling the kids how he had to walk two miles to school, up hill both ways, in a foot of snow, and how lucky they are to be able to ride the bus,