Friday, September 12, 2008

Molly's 1st Day of Preschool--September 3 & 9

We were thrown a little bit of a loop for Molly's first day of preschool. I originally signed her up at my favorite preschool of all time (well, what I thought was the preschool), "Westport Road Bible Preschool." I have referred many a friend to that school because both Meg and Ben attended. I didn't send Sam, because it is further from my house and I just had Molly, so he went to a closer preschool.

Anyway, I wanted Molly only gone a total of three days (I have our church playgroup on Wednesdays) so because the preschool has a minimum of three days, I decided to sign her up for the Mother's Morning Out program at the same building, just two days a week with her best buddy Eva Larsen. Well, the first day, let's just say was not what I expected. The majority of her class was between the age of 2 and 2 1/2 years old. Molly and Eva were the only ones potty trained, who could sit for more than two seconds for "lesson time," and actually were about the only two who weren't crying.

Plan B QUICK!!! I felt horrible. I should have researched it better. I just assumed that since the preschool was so awesome that the mother's morning out program would follow suit (which it would if you have a two year old or younger). So I scrambled to see what chance there was to get Molly and Eva to be considered for the preschool program. There were two openings, but not in the same class, and the girls would have to attend three days a week. I stewed for two days about what to do, and asked almost everyone their opinions (I know I drove Jenny and Rusty crazy--sorry). Finally, I just decided to talk to the director again, and felt good about putting Molly in Ms. Kelly's class (Ben had her six years ago). She will get to see Eva at play time, in music time and on the rides to and from preschool (Jenny and I car pool).

I'm not used to it yet, I miss her (I don't think she shares the same sentiment however). But since Molly only takes a nap a few times a week now, I've been a lot more conscious of really "being" with her from the time she get homes until the older kids come home from school. I also have our Mondays planned with fun activities. And finally, as Rusty pointed out, "she's only in preschool, if you don't feel like sending her, don't." Well said!

Molly's first day of school. She calls these shoes her "school shoes."


Of course, the princess back pack.

Molly and Eva in their first class.


Molly after school the first day. She wanted her hair "long" (that means no hair accessories whatsoever in her red locks), her nightgown on, and her "blank." She puts the blank inside her night gown and lays like this to go to sleep. She was tuckered out that first day.

A few minutes later I came back to check on her and she was OUT!

Molly and Ms. Kelly. This is her second first day of school. She was a little timid, but did well. Ms. Kelly "tested" her, and said that Molly doesn't really know her letters (this wasn't a surprise to me). She called each one "I." First of all, she does know "M," "O," and "L." Second, at least she was consistent; and third, isn't she only three? She's my fourth, I feel happy if she gets read to once a day. BTW Rusty calls Molly's pants her "Jan Brady pants." He ALWAYS seems to have some sort of comment.

1 comment:

Julie and Matt said...

How cute! I can't believe our little ones are growing up! Riley and Tanner should be going to preschool with Molly. I'm glad you got the preschool thing figured out.