Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas School Play and Parties

Meg and Ben are both in the school chorus this year, which put on a production entitled, "Once On a Housetop" in mid-December. It was their first experience auditioning for anything. Ben went into it totally confident, and when asked if he wanted a little or big speaking part, he said, "BIG." He played Santa. Meg, on the other hand, said "small or no speaking part," and she was cast as a shepherd. The interesting thing about this was after a couple of rehearsals Meg realized she wished she would have said "big," that those parts weren't as intimidating as she thought and those "actors" seemed to have more fun.

I know what you are thinking, "How could our school put on a play that talks about Santa, shepherds, etc?" Well, the play was very politically correct. There were songs and scenes that discussed not only Santa and the Nativity, but also Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. Everyone was covered.


Ben in his Santa suit. We couldn't stuff his belly because he wouldn't have fit in the cardboard chimney the art students built. I don't think they measured before they built.

Even without being "miked" Ben "projected" (just using theater slang) his lines very well.

Meg HAAAATED wearing the scarf over her head as a shepherd.

The music teacher told her she could take it off as soon as the Nativity scene was finished. Oh, she did.

Ben's loyal fans.
For Christmas the school gave all the fifth graders this t-shirt with all their names on the back (I use the word "gave" loosely, I paid for the shirt a month before). Meg doesn't like it, so I guess that was $11 bucks that I wasted.

I put this picture in of Meg and her posse because I'm just amazed at the lack of hair combing that occurs in the 5th grade. Really, was I like this? I don't think so. I remember my mom braiding, curling (with the pink sponge curlers), and brushing until I cried. I am only allowed to "help" Meg with her hair when she wants it straightened. Other than that, it's hands off. I do, however, make sure that a brush touches it every morning.

Sam playing pin the nose on the snowman during his class party. I was totally bugged during this game (and I don't care if I'm about to sound petty) because there were a lot of moms standing around watching the different activities that their children were participating in. Well, this kid totally butts in front of Sam, and Sam said, "Hey, I was standing right behind. . ." (can't remember any of the names). The kid that butted said, "So!" Keep in mind, the mom is standing RIGHT THERE. So Sam turns to me to "save" him. I say in a very LOUD voice while glaring at the mom, "Sam, it's better to be kind than to be right, so just go behind him and we'll still have fun." She walked off and didn't see her kid do the stupid activity. Good!!! So, maybe I wasn't really doing what I was preaching, but come on already. . .nice memory with this picture huh?!?

At Ben's school "holiday" party (heaven forbid they call it a Christmas party), he made a snowman out of grated ivory soap. I asked the room mother who shredded all those bars of soap and she said her husband, "who I owe big." I'll bet. Ben's hands and shirts smelled like soap for quite a while.

No comments: