Thursday, March 20, 2008

46 Pages

Last Thursday night I met my good friend Michelle in Lafayette, IN, to scrap book for a day and a half. I got there late Thursday and we stayed up and talked like we were teenagers. I had a hard time falling asleep because I was too excited to get "scrapping" the next morning.

Friday morning we woke up, had breakfast at "Panera" (it was right next door to our hotel), walked on the hotel treadmills for 40 minutes, showered and got to work. Between watching HGTV and TLC we were set (I really can't watch another "What Not To Wear" for a long time). We worked most of the day (a little break for lunch, dinner and a trip to Target--we needed adhesive), and into the night. We woke up a little later on Saturday, had breakfast (skipped the workout), and got right back to "scrapping." We were en fuego!!! We had a late check out, and quit a little before 3:00 p.m. After a quick tally, I realized I had completed 46 pages. I was ECSTATIC!!! It was so fun to make a big "dent" in the pictures that were just sitting there in a box or, worse, on the computer. Now they are in a book for all to enjoy.

A FEW REALIZATIONS AFTER MY ADVENTURE
1) I realized those two days I was gone were the first in a loooooooong time that I haven't had a schedule. Even when we go on vacation as a family or I go alone with Rusty, there are things that we have/want to do. There was nothing Michelle and I had to do. We didn't have to scrap book if we didn't want to, there were no kids to get on or off the bus, no specific time to eat (we at lunch at 2:15 p.m. one day and dinner at 7:30 p.m.), no one to wash/cook/clean for. . . really NOTHING we HAD to do. It was amazing. Even though we didn't get a lot of sleep, we had a blast.

2) Picking what you listen to in the car for six whole hours (three each way) is totally fun. I didn't have to listen to "Hannah Montana," the "Star Wars" soundtrack or "Barbie" CD.

3) Being with a girl friend that you feel totally comfortable with, have the same goals, and share values and similar "trials" is so rewarding. (Michelle and I both have four kids that are almost all the same ages).

4) Shopping at the outlet malls outside of Indianapolis by yourself is FABULOUS!!!

5) Finding out that Molly didn't get her hair done for two days (even though she went to the library, store and the kids' elementary school) just doesn't matter. Rusty did say he brushed it one day, and even attempted a pony tail :)

6) Having a husband who not only "willingly" let me go, but "enjoyed" his time alone with the kids, was great. He was amazed how fast a school day goes.

7) Me being able to get away and unwind for a minute is good for the entire family.

Thank you Rusty for encouraging me to go and Michelle for going with me.

8 comments:

Holly said...

That sounds like so much fun. You deserve to have no schedule every once in awhile!

Cheryl said...

What a great weekend! Everyone needs some unscheduled down time now and then. The problem is it NEVER fits into our schedule!

Love your new found knowledge, though I have to laugh about the hair bit. Here I am home every day, and my girls hair remains undone (they will simply not leave things in- instead them yank them out plus a huge chunk of precious hair I've been waiting 2 years to come in) AND we go everywhere like this- today it was on a walk, then to the school, then to baseball. You get my drift. Proud of Rusty for trying at all.

Glad you got back safe! Post some pics of your pages. I'd love to see some!

Noelle said...

I can't really get into scrap booking. Blogging does it for me. It is a nice combination of journal/scrap book. I have never felt less guilty about journal keeping before!

Still, it's nice to get away and spend time with friends. I'm glad you had so much fun.

Jen said...

Wow, Vicki what a husband!! I think as women that is all we need every once and a while is our OWN time to be who WE are. I enjoy when I get to step out of the "mommy" role for a little while. Then it is so easy to rejuvinate and I always can't wait to get back to my kids. I always miss them. Good for you and I'm glad you had so much fun!

lacey said...

I remembered you were going to take this trip! I am glad you had that time- it is hard to believe how much stuff we can get done when we don't have kids in tow... I almost forget. Thanks for reminding me and thanks for good girlfriends that make time away from home worthwhile!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

46 pages... WOW i'm jealous :-)
You should post pictures of some of the pages you got done, I'd love to see them.
Melissa

marlene said...

Vicki you rock thats a lot of pages and glad you had a great time Just getting away is so fun

traci said...

OH, right now that sounds so relaxing. I think I need to go away somewhere and sleep for a few days. Maybe I will scrapbook a little too. Ah, who am I kidding? In the millenium that will happen. I have something to look forward to.