Today is our 15th anniversary. Rusty and I met when we were 15 years old. I don't remember it but he does. Then a year later he moved into my ward and the bishop asked me to show him to our Sunday School class. My friend Karen Olson liked him, so I had to just be "friends" with him at first. I was the Laurel President and his sister who, let's just say wasn't particularly active in the Church at the time, was in my class. I really magnified my calling and "fellowshipped" her (okay, I'll admit, it was to see Rusty). Anyway, Karen moved on to a different guy and on New Year's Eve 1986 we danced our first dance. It was love.
We dated on and off for the next two years and we went to each other's proms. When he was a freshman in college and I was a senior in high school, we dated other people. He graduated when he was 17 and had an entire year before his mission. As both sets of our parents will attest, we had a rough patch at this time. We argued and "broke up" more times than I can count. But right before his mission we were dating again and I diligently "waited" for him. By diligently I mean I wrote him at first a ton, but then began dating a ton, and the letters got fewer and fewer. This was okay with Rusty because he totally got into his mission and thought my tapes were annoying (as, he reports, he threw one out a 30 story window).
Rusty's Senior Prom May 9, 1987. Which hair do took more time?
He got back from his mission on October 26, 1990, exactly two years to the day that he left. I was there with his family waiting in my new outfit and ready for a ring (I had just broken up with a guy "for" Rusty and thought I was going to be engaged in a matter of weeks). This was not the case. For the next two years, yes I said TWO years, Rusty strung me along. Whenever I decided I was done with his "playing around" and started dating someone else, he would reel me back in. Finally, in December 1992, I was going to go to Washington state over Christmas to meet a guy's family that I had been dating for about 4 months and Rusty asked me not to go. I didn't and on January 8, 1993 we got engaged (Elvis' birthday--Rusty fondly recalls). It really stunk telling that guy when he got back from Christmas break that I was engaged to someone else.
How we got engaged: We were in sweats eating pizza and talking about marriage on Rusty's bedroom floor (don't tell BYU housing--my diploma might get revoked), and Rusty said, "Let's be engaged." So romantic!!! However, I was thrilled! I wanted it in writing, but. . . Then about a week later Rusty took me to a Chinese restaurant and when the fortune cookie came my ring was inside with a fortune saying "Will you Marry a Marvelous Man." My patriarchal blessing says that I will "marry a marvelous man." How cute/clever is that?
How we got engaged: We were in sweats eating pizza and talking about marriage on Rusty's bedroom floor (don't tell BYU housing--my diploma might get revoked), and Rusty said, "Let's be engaged." So romantic!!! However, I was thrilled! I wanted it in writing, but. . . Then about a week later Rusty took me to a Chinese restaurant and when the fortune cookie came my ring was inside with a fortune saying "Will you Marry a Marvelous Man." My patriarchal blessing says that I will "marry a marvelous man." How cute/clever is that?
We got married in the Provo Temple on April 29, 1993 and I was the only bride of the day. The man who married us also gave both Rusty and me our patriarchal blessings and was also my neighbor. We had our luncheon upstairs at the good ole' BYU Wilkinson Center and our reception in Rusty's mom's NEW cultural hall (can you get any more Mormon than that?). It was nice, and our entire family was there, as well as all our good friends. That's really all you need.
Our engagement invitation and picture.
Don't you LOVE the matching tie and dress?
Our Wedding party
The traditional gift for the 15th is Crystal and the modern is a watch. Well, Rusty has the watch he has always wanted. No it's not a Rolex--it's a BYU Cougar watch. He LOVES it. And I know that if I gave him anything crystal he would look at me and say, "What am I suppose to do with this?" Therefore, I will decided to surprise him and take him to lunch. Our big celebration is in June. We are going to Vancouver for a 5 days. He gave me a bouquet of flowers with the card reading, "I'm good for another 15. Happy Anniversary!"
Rusty knows these are my favorite kind of flowers.
Rusty's the true romantic?!?! I love this actually. It's totally him.

10 comments:
Congratulations! 15 is long a time! I love the pictures -- especially the prom. Don't we all have pictures with big hair like that hiding somewhere? I can't believe he kept you hanging for 2 years!
You will love Vancouver and June is the perfect time to go. I used to live there and loved it (when it wasn't raining). Definitely take the ferry over to Victoria.
I loved seeing the pictures of hiking the 'Y'. It brought back some great memories. What a fun family vacation.
I love the pictures, and the recap. I'm totally laughing. He's one lucky guy, especially that you were so patient. Isn't that how it always works, a little pressure, maybe a threat, they eventually see the light! What I really like is that one guy thought you were far enough along to take home to family, and comes back to find you engaged. I'd love to hear the rest of that story. The pictures are great, but the one in your other post that Ben took is a great one of you guys. You look so pretty. I hope that after 15 years Keith and I can look so good. Congrats!
Congrats! I didn't realize how close our anniversaries are. You've got me by 4 years. Dang it. I love adding on a year every April. I laugh at all the Hollywood weddings that can barely make it 6 months. We show them how it's done!
I loved all the photos. I knew you two had a long history, but the senior prom one was great! I loved that Tiffany wrote a comment already since she and Josh have years of school dance pictures together. Good times.
I loved all the stories. Some made me laugh out loud. What we will do for true love!! I always love a good engagment story. It's hard to believe that we were young once and kidless back then.
Happy #15 and good job Rusty on the flowers. They are lovely!
This was so, so fun to read and the pictures....oh, the pictures! Such a great post! Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
I loved the pictures... oh the hair .. I'm cracking up- You look absolutely beautiful in your pictures but I think that you are even prettier now.
I also loved the card that Rusty sent you... so clever.
Congrats on 15! I remember thinking how long you guys had been married when we first moved to KY, but now I'm starting to feel old as we hit #9... 4/29/99... not as good of a story as yours though, we only dated8 1/2 months before we got married and moved to KY about a month later!
Have fun in Vancouver! I got Matt the Ninetendo Wii for our anniversary... you'll never guess what he go me... the Nintendo Wii. Yep, I guess as the years go by we start thinking alike =) At least I bought some accessories to go with it......
Happy Anniversary!!
Jen
Im still stuck on the fact that it took 2 years for him to propose to you after he got back from his mission. Oh my goodness. You are a patient woman (and luckily, it was well worth the wait!) Happy Anniversary!
When I saw your dress and his matching tie, I new it must have been in the 90's. I think my cousin had that same dress from Express and I had a red one that we wore to EFY in 1992! I loved your dating story. Now, I feel like I know the two of you EVEN better than I did before. Well, enjoy the next 15 more years with Rusty and let me know what you plan on doing after that!
Congrats to you guys! I do love those pictures and the hair. How amazing are you for looking as good if not better NOW then you did then!! Amazing!
Holy crap Vicki! I went straight to the photos in this post and it took me a minute to realize that they were actually YOUR wedding photos! I seriously could not tell that was Rusty (I thought maybe you were on your second marriage??). Great photos. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on 15 years!
Post a Comment