Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Mother Hill

Well, we've had another SNOW DAY in Louisville this year. That's right, Utah friends and family, it has only snowed TWICE this entire winter (pretty common for Louisville). And many of you might not know this, but when it snows everything shuts down. It began yesterday afternoon, and looked so pretty. The kids and I turned out all the lights and just watched the snow fall through the window. We got about 3-4 inches and then it stopped late evening. At this time, the ice rain began and so there was a nice layer of ice, on top of snow, on top of saturated grass. But this did not stop the O'Briens. We were at the MOTHER hill from 9:10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. And don't think the rain stopped us either. Let me explain the Mother hill--we live across the street from our neighbrohood park (which we love) and there is a HUGE hill that ends with a little stream/river at the bottom. This is the Mother hill. The ice snow was so great, that we sledded down the hill and had to dig our heels in to stop before the water. With only a few casualties (Sam "broke" his arm--until he found out he would have to go home--then it was only scraped up), we had a great morning.


















Molly loved the snow, but didn't like anyone helping her in the snow. She would go down on the sleds with either me, Meg or Ben, and when it was time to walk up the hill she of course had to do it herself. Well, she was in the way of many sledders, but when I carried her up the hill, she layed down, throwing a temper tantrum, and rolled down to the spot she was originally. So finally, I just decided to let her do her thing and kept sledding with the other kids. A guy there watching his grandkids, thought that no one was helping her, and walked down the hill to carry her up. She FREAKED!!! (At least I know that she won't get stolen by someone). After that she was a little more willing to let us help her.

Rusty had been gone since Sunday night because he had a meeting in Dallas on Monday, and when trying to get home last night, was re-routed to Chicago, then to Baltimore where he had to spend the night. The worst part is that his cell phone died, (he didn't bring a charger) and therefore didn't update me as much as I thought necessary. So we were quite surprised when we saw him walking in all of his snow gear to sled with us around 10:30 a.m. It was the first time I really got to sled with the kids (it seems the other few times we've had a lot of snow, I've been prenant). We had a BLAST!!!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

LOVE IT! You made the best of your snow day! That was perfect for Rusty to show up from his totally nightmare trip flying across the country with no cell phone in time to hit the hill with the family.

We too had a snow day. The ice was crazy! Too bad we live too far way to have joined you sledding!

Brett said...

I can say I have been down the Mother hill and lived to tell about it. But just barely. Luckily that tree trunk stopped my speedy journey toward the creek. *ouch*