Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentines Day Cookies

Well, since we've had a little more time than usual--you know, no school, no Cub Scouts, no Activity Days, no homework, etc., we decided to decorate the kitchen floor with flour and frosting, oh, I mean we decided to make and decorate heart shapped cookies for Valentines Day. It was great fun. In order to make it even more fun, Meg wanted to take some of our creations to someone (Melissa, aren't you sad you moved, otherwise you could have been the beneficiary). Therefore, we took a few over to Meg's teacher who just moved into a house in the next cul-de-sac. As a side note, her teacher actually was put on bed rest and Meg got a new teacher for the remainder of the year.












We also worked on signing and assembling our Valentines Cards today. It always is so amazing to me how different boys and girls are (and it's easy to compare when you have two that are almost the same age). Meg carefully read each card to see what it said in order to pick out just the right one for each boy or girl in her class. Then she picked the perfect sticker to seal it, signed it approprately according to the recipient (for example: "Love Meg," "Your Friend, Meg," etc.), and made sure to use a cute red pen.

Ben, on the other hand, grabbed a green pen (whatever's closest), signed "Ben," and handed them to me one at a time to put a tattoo on them and close it with a sticker. No "to" whomever on them--he told me it makes it easier to pass out this way.

Sam was somewhere in-between. But since he had "Star Wars" Valentines wanted to make sure that the children that got Darth Vadar were "worthy" of receiving his favorite Valentine and tatoo (only one girl in his class got this--most girls got R2D2--I wonder what this says about her?)

7 comments:

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

too funny... now i can see what I missed!! But that was the last thing i needed... another thing to eat after being stuck in the house for 2 days..
We made cupcakes...if your lucky you might get some LOL!

Cheryl said...

What a fun day! I think I'll have to make some sugar cookies with the boys tomorrow. Your's looked amazing. I think I would have eaten 3 just while I decorated a few.

We too did our Valentines this morning. It should have taken 20 mintues since they all can write and read and we didn't put an "To:" either. Of course it dragged on for over an hour. There were tears when we ran out of "girl" Valentines and they were going to have to use some from the Cars movie. I really should have bought all the same ones. We did the pencil ones this year. It was good until they couldn't feed it through the slit and I had to stick them all in. Oh, well. Task done.

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!!

Holly said...

The cookies look great! (And the kids look pretty flour and frosting free, I must say :)

I must say that this year Valentines were not so difficult. The 2 in middle school only have to give Valentines to their "true" friends, and there is no candy allowed at our school, so nothing to attach. The only "panic" came when Danielle ran out of "boy" valentines. I reminded her that she got Spiderman valentines from boys, so it was ok to give them Polly Pocket ones. . . She was still debating that in her head when I got distracted.

Tiffany said...

It's reassuring to hear that Keenan isn't the only 5 year old who tries to preserve ice/snow in the freezer!

We should have joined you on the Mother Hill --although we only had a 2 hour delay.

I always love eating Valentine Cookies, but I hate making them! I always think I'm going to like making them and by the end I'm so sick of trying to get them all decorated that I want to just throw them all away! Maybe it will be better in a few years when my kids are older and can help more. Loie just dumps a pile (seriously about 1 inch high) of icing on her cookies and then won't eat it! Ruined! And of course I think I have to eat all the ruined cookies!

Unknown said...

The mother hill and valentine cookies... what could be more fun? I can't believe Rusty had to spend the night in Baltimore . . . after he slept right OVER St. Louis! But, hey, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to go sledding on the mother hill! You were pretty brave taking them all out there by yourself two days in a row!

I can hardly wait to see everyone on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you 2ks!

M and M Madsen said...

ohh my goodness, i remember spending hours reading those silly little heart candies to pick out the right ones for each person... and then spending hours reading what the hearts said in the cards i got...... I think the boys have it easier!

marlene said...

Vicky you make me laugh so hard I you are the best mom I wish I had a snow day at your house